Dear Dr. Jones,
I am enjoying the different experiences this course has to offer thus far. I have truly enjoyed the fact that not only does it give me an opportunity to further develop my skills in writing, but we are given the opportunity to free-write and reflect. There are times when I know I struggle to set aside some time for class readings, but once I actually sit down to read them, I am thoroughly engaged in what the texts have to offer. I love being introduced to new pieces of information- especially when it can benefit me when I have my own classroom someday. I feel that much of the emphasis of the literacy program up until now has had me spending much time about learning the best strategies and methods of instruction towards reading with children. This class has helped me delve into the other facet of literacy- which is writing. You have created an excellent working environment for the class because we can get to know each other through our writing and through different tasks each class and for assignments we will have this semester.
When I first started the literacy program at Nazareth, I did not realize the specific connections that come between reading and writing. There are specific strategies that readers and writers use to develop and build upon over time. I have learned a lot about the importance of good readers who use self-monitoring to take responsibility and ownership towards autonomy. I have been able to make this connection about writers as well. Tompkins (2012) also shares the idea that, "....writing strategies are 'deliberate thinking procedures writers use to solve problems that they encounter while writing'" (p.35). Therefore, not only do readers have to be conscious of the strategies they use, but writers have to take deliberate control of the process they use to become more independent and proficient writers. Kucer and Rhodes (1986) discuss reading and writing as a parallel process. Not only do they both use common strategies, but readers and writers both rely on prior knowledge, the meaning-making process, and the ability to be cognizant of making sense when we read and write (Kucer & Rhodes, 1986).
There have been multiple opportunities during class that have further enhanced the writing transactions between the class and myself. the online forums with the Hicks discussions as well as forums we create during class have helped me to question, imagine, refine, and complete the transaction of writing. I believe I over-think my writing too frequently. I would like to think I do it less when it comes to reflecting and communicating about topics I feel strongly about. However, when I am synthesizing new information and trying to make sense of how to communicate it effectively, I tend to struggle often. Sometimes my mind goes blank and it wanders onto other things I did throughout the day, so it can be difficult to shove that aside at times! There are times when I need to engage in a more organized form of thinking. I need to do this so my thoughts can be demonstrated clearly to my audience.
In order to fully engage while writing, I will need to continue to be creative, utilize resources available to me through conversation, texts, internet, peers, and professors. I think I need to be a better planner and organizer to create positive writing experiences for myself.
There are many tools I feel will be beneficial towards my teaching literacy in the school setting. I think it will be important to use the Tompkins book to fully re-read certain sections to understand the writing process and how much organization and understanding it takes to help students become better writers. I could even use some tips from the text as well. Think-alouds will be a helpful strategy for my students to share their thinking and gain a great perspective on how the writing process should be when teachers effectively model tasks. Modeled reading, shared writing, guided writing, and independent writing are all important procedures and levels of support that will benefit my work as a teacher (Tompkins, 2012). I will continue to familiarize myself with digital literacy tools (wikis, blogs, podcasts, etc.) to benefit my teaching.
My struggle has always been time management. I procrastinate at times because I get overwhelmed with tasks, my classes, work, etc. I need to find a fine balance between my coursework and other aspects of my life that get in the way. I think it is good that we have assignments based on the readings because it does help push me to process specific, important information from the readings. I initially struggled to come up with a topic for the genre, but I feel that I am all set with choosing child behaviors as a topic. I am intrigued to begin the next stages of this class and the assignments to come. I hope to continue to learn more about myself as a writer and better teacher for my future students. I am thankful that you appreciate feedback from us always!
Sincerely,
Regina
Regina, I am very pleased to hear you are finding many benefits from taking this class. I also encourage you to try and give yourself a little extra time to engage in these entries so -- as you say -- you will be able to make the most out of your writing experiences.
ReplyDelete