The last experience I worked with students during a digital writing workshop was when I substituted for a fifth grade classroom in the Rush-Henrietta school district. The students were writing reports on a certain topic of their choice regarding countries, and they were expected to type up their drafts for a final copy using Microsoft Word on computers. The students had their drafts prepared prior to my day of substituting, but I was there in case they needed assistance in composing or typing up the rest of their final publications. According to Scott and Vitale (2003), the students would have been in their editing or publication stages of their writing workshop. The students were able to type up the final form of their drafts into a neatly polished version. They would then be able to share their writing with peers, teachers, and perhaps their parents once the final piece would be complete (Scott & Vitale, 2003).
It seemed beneficial I already had previous knowledge about Microsoft word through my experiences typing papers for college. I have knowledge of appropriate writing conventions, audience awareness, punctuation/grammar, and I have a general sense of how to use the program on a computer.
The students seemed to benefit with accessibility to laptops, and other students were able to use three desktop computers in the classroom during the ELA/literacy centers block.Therefore, students were already grouped for when their time would be dedicated for computer use for researching and typing. Laptops were put to great use because students could work in the hallways or a comfortable space in the classroom. The three desktop computers were at the side of the classroom facing a wall on a large table. Students were able to ask questions or make comments about their writing with their peers when sitting at the desktop computer table.
Although this was not a digital workshop in a sense where students were communicating through a common network to share ideas, they were still able to use a computer program to demonstrate their comprehension and make meaning from the information they researched for their topics. Students were able to make meaning from the digital texts made available to them through computer use (Hicks, 2009). With audio, video, images, and web pages available, students were able to accomplish their assignments with practice in the digital world.
While students took turns using the desktop and laptop computers, I had to make sure they were staying on task in order for the "digital workshop" to remain successful. As fifth graders, I was well aware their teacher had left specific expectations for the completion of their assignment/due date. Students knew they were supposed to be doing research for their topic or typing their final copy. I remember one student went online to look up pictures for something not related to his topic, and I felt that without redirection, the internet can easily lead students off task once they browse for information in their searches.
In a digital writing workshop, it is important that expectations are set for students no matter what the age level, and it is important for teachers to provide constructive feedback. Teachers should still model and establish a positive learning environment so students feel comfortable sharing their work with the designated audience(s).
This is very interesting Regina. Do you think there is anything you could have done differently to further enhance your students or keep them "on track" from the beginning? Now that you know about using an RSS, could this have aided your instructional design?
ReplyDeleteOne other important note, Regina. Your first two entries held potential, but it appears you have fallen behind? Your third entry needs to be posted before class today (at the very, very latest) or it will be considered a late posting.
ReplyDelete